Long Marston Memories – the Railway

Perhaps you have noticed a little cluster of houses a fraction over a mile north of Long Marston cross roads, on the road to Wingrave? Many older residents will know this as Marston Gate, the site of Long Marston’s past connection to the railway network.

The branch line that passed through Marston Gate ran between Aylesbury and Cheddington station linking with the main London and Birmingham railway. The almost dead-straight course is still easily identifiable on an aerial view, running roughly West-South-West from Cheddington station to the north end of Railway Street in Aylesbury, just across the road from B&Q. Continue reading Long Marston Memories – the Railway…

The Railway

A railway line used to follow a route from Cheddington station to Aylesbury, crossing the Long Marston to Wingrave road at “Marston Gate” about one mile out of Long Marston. The line was built as a branch line of the London and Birmingham, later renamed LNWR in 1846. The line was officially opened on the 10th June 1839, but Marston Gate was not opened until 1860. Continue reading The Railway…

Powered by WordPress with GimpStyle Theme design by Horacio Bella.
Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS.