A group of eight concerned and interested individuals from Long Marston and Gubblecote determined in November 1997 to acquire the site known locally as ‘Millhoppers’ to preserve its current character in perpetuity. The individuals concerned were prepared to make a significant and irrevocable financial commitment, as a last resort, not only to secure the site but also to fund its ongoing management. (more…)
[singlepic id=369 w=500 h=330 float=center]
April 3rd 1961. Yuri Gagarin was selected by the Soviet space agency to make the first manned space flight, comedian Eddie Murphy was born and I Berg leads a closely contested race at a rain sodden Easter Monday kart meeting at the Long Marston track.
The Keelekart Company was founded by racing driver Michael Keele in the 1950s in Tring, (more…)
When we first acquired the reserve, our main aim was to conserve the wild life that we already knew was there, with a particular emphasis on butterflies. But managing for butterflies also benefits so much other wildlife, so recording birds, plants, trees, dragonflies and any other aspects of wildlife; (more…)
The Parish Room, which dates back to late Victorian times, was not originally located at Puttenham but near Tring Station, on the Pendley Estate owned by Joseph Williams of Pendley Manor, where it was reputedly used as a luggage room. It is believed that the building was supplied as a pre-fabricated ‘flat pack’ probably sourced from the catalogue of a Victorian equivalent of Wickes! (more…)
Originally two cottages: a Thatched cottage, likely to have been built in the 16th/17th Century, and a slate roofed cottage of early Victorian origin, Old Church Cottage sits adjacent to the Mediaeval Tower of the old Chapel of Ease of Long Marston, and its’ Church Yard. The earliest deeds in the present owner’s possession date back to 1759, when the Thatched cottage was in the ownership of the Manor of Tring. Earlier records indicate the humble workman’s cottage as likely to have been owned by the Lord of the Manor, Samuel Bromley of Long Marston. Lord Rothschild, in 1894, as Lord of the Manor of Great Tring, with the Members, sold the cottage to a Mr E.F. Gregory. From thence onwards the cottage has changed hands several times, with, in more recent years, owners having a bias towards literary association. Mary Grieve, editor of Woman Magazine lived here and years later, another owner being the night editor of The Independent. The present owners herald from the medical world; a retired General Practitioner and Health Visitor from Harrow.
Article by John Noakes.
The term “field” was first used to distinguish areas cleared of trees from the tracts of forest found by the earliest settlers in Britain.
The great fields were divided into smaller areas, known as furlongs or shots and these were subdivided into strips or plots held by individual tenants. (more…)