[singlepic id=363 w=640 h=480 float=center]
The term “field” was first used to distinguish areas cleared of trees from the tracts of forest found by the earliest settlers in Britain.
The great fields were divided into smaller areas, known as furlongs or shots and these were subdivided into strips or plots held by individual tenants. Continue reading Fields
As late as 1888 parts of Long Marston and Puttenham belonged to Bucks. The respective areas are shown on the LMPAGD map. Fields 116, 121, 53, 50, 49, 48, 47, 46, 43, 42, 41, 41a, 30 and 29m belonged to Drayton Beauchamp and fields 137, 147, 148, 149, 150 and ground (Loxley Farm) to north east of field 145 belonged to Marsworth. Continue reading Land Belonging To Bucks
Tiscot had a chapel which was pulled down in1661. Until 1748 the hamlets of Tiscot, Betlow and Aldwick were in the parish of Marsworth.
The original church of Long Marston was to the west of the village, at the end of chapel lane and was pulled down except for its embattled tower, in 1883. Continue reading Churches
Last month I wrote about how a small group of us locally raised funds to restore the Old Church Tower in Chapel Lane Long Marston.
One of the fund raising activities was Tea at the Tower. This proved to be one of the most successful and popular events of the summer and it continued to be held annually long after funds were raised sufficient to secure the safety of the Tower. Continue reading Tea at the Tower That Was
It is now ten years since a group of us came together in an attempt to restore the Old Church Tower at Long Marston. A Grade 11* listed building, situated in its small churchyard with a few gravestones, it is surrounded by sombre old yews and dominated by a gigantic lime tree. On one side is the remains of a moat whish once surrounded the long lost Manor of Long Marston and adjacent is a 16th century thatched cottage. Continue reading The Old Church Tower and its Surrounding Churchyard
Fields on the site of what would become Long Marston Airfield were used as an aerodrome in 1917 during the First World War, but activities ceased after the armistice.
In 1940, farmland worked mainly by Arthur Rees and some by William Southernwoods was requisitioned, and 1941 saw intense activity as building contractors George Wimpey flattened the land and constructed runways, service roads and buildings. Continue reading Long Marston Airfield
Long Marston and the surrounding area are criss-crossed with streams and drainage ditches, but despite these attempts at keeping the water levels under control, the village has suffered with flooding on many occasions.
In 1978 the village flooded at least 4 times, the water rising to a depth of 3 feet behind the houses in Marston Court, and reaching from the crossroads to Loxley Farm. Continue reading Flooding in Long Marston