Recreation Ground – 1930’s
The ground was loaned by the Rotheschilds for use by the villagers for sports etc. The Parish Council was responsible for the upkeep (fences, gates etc.). There were no games allowed after dusk or on Sundays. The local farmers would put ponies and some cattle to graze overnight in the Rec. When the Rotheschilds sold some of their farms and various meadows in around 1936, they offered to sell the recreation ground to the village for approximately £30.00, as the Parish Council did not want to buy it. The solicitors of the Rotheschilds in Tring were also Father Anthony’s solicitors and mentioned to him how surprised they were that the Parish Council was not taking up the offer. Father Anthony was furious, put a deposit down, called a public meeting and with full public support, money was raised to buy the ground for the village.
Article written by the LM & P Horticultural Society. Continue reading Village Halls and Recreation Ground
A railway line used to follow a route from Cheddington station to Aylesbury, crossing the Long Marston to Wingrave road at “Marston Gate” about one mile out of Long Marston. The line was built as a branch line of the London and Birmingham, later renamed LNWR in 1846. The line was officially opened on the 10th June 1839, but Marston Gate was not opened until 1860. Continue reading The Railway
At the end of a small lane in the village of Long Marston is a small churchyard. It has a few gravestones, some somber yews and a gigantic lime tree. At the northwest aspect is the remains of a moat which once surrounded the Manor of Long Marston; long since lost. Adjacent is a 16th century thatched cottage. Continue reading The Lost Chapel of Long Marston
Information Taken From The Account At The Queen’s Head, Long Marston Regarding The Last Witch Hunt. In 1751 a woman was murdered in an atrociously cruel fashion by an enraged mob at Long Marston near Tring. THOMAS COLLEY the ringleader was hanged for it afterwards, but there were many who thought it hard that a man should be executed for ridding the district of a malicious witch. Continue reading The Last Witch Hunt
The term “field” was first used to distinguish areas cleared of trees from the tracts of forest found by the earliest settlers in Britain.The great fields often received names as North Field, Near Field or were related to some adjacent feature and called Mill Field or Brook Field. Continue reading The Fields
The old airfield is known locally both as “Long Marston Airfield” and “Marsworth Airfield”. It occupies an area between these two villages and, at it’s northernmost point, is close to Cheddington. In fact it’s official title from the war years (and the name that is used in official records) is Cheddington. This is because all new airfields at the time were named by the nearest railway station.
Continue reading Cheddington Airfield
In Long Marston there used to be four public houses. These were: The Boot, The Queen’s Head, The White Hart and The Rose and Crown. The Rose and Crown had another function as well as entertainment – it had a butcher’s shop and a sweet shop in it too. Now Long Marston only has two of our pubs remaining: The Queen’s Head and The Boot, which on November 5th 2003 also became our village shop. Just goes to show how things go round.
Long Marston is situated north of the market town of Tring. It is famous for in 1751, being the scene of England’s last witch-lynching at the village pond when Ruth Osborn was captured and drowned. There is still some debate as to the actual location of this event as Long Marston does not have a central village pond. Continue reading Places of Interest
Unusual weather normally takes the form of heavy snow or high rainfall. But how about a tornado? Just such a thing happened on Sunday May 21st 1950. Trees were uprooted and many buildings had their roofs taken off. The noise was terrifying. A pony in it’s horsebox was lifted up to around 20ft, a arrived back down to earth unhurt. Chickens at Puttenham were not so lucky. 500 out of 700 of them were killed or went missing after the tornado picked up their hen house and transported it over a mile and a half, where it landed on another farm. Also in Puttenham a Dutch barn and a cowshed were demolished. It ploughed a total of 12 miles through Buckinghamshire. Following the tornado came hail and rainstorms. Some hailstones were up to six and a half inches round and lightning blew out the power in Long Marston. Continue reading Other Happenings and History
This site of approx 3 acres was acquired by the efforts of few individuals from the adjacent village of Long Marston, a grant from Dacorum Borough Council and Butterfly Conservation. It was finally secured by our organization and dedicated to Gordon Beningfield in1998 who sadly had died just before the opening. Continue reading Millhoppers – Our First Reserve