It is now ten years since a group of us came together in an attempt to restore the Old Church Tower at Long Marston. A Grade 11* listed building, situated in its small churchyard with a few gravestones, it is surrounded by sombre old yews and dominated by a gigantic lime tree. On one side is the remains of a moat whish once surrounded the long lost Manor of Long Marston and adjacent is a 16th century thatched cottage. (more…)
Fields on the site of what would become Long Marston Airfield were used as an aerodrome in 1917 during the First World War, but activities ceased after the armistice.
In 1940, farmland worked mainly by Arthur Rees and some by William Southernwoods was requisitioned, and 1941 saw intense activity as building contractors George Wimpey flattened the land and constructed runways, service roads and buildings. (more…)
Long Marston and the surrounding area are criss-crossed with streams and drainage ditches, but despite these attempts at keeping the water levels under control, the village has suffered with flooding on many occasions.
In 1978 the village flooded at least 4 times, the water rising to a depth of 3 feet behind the houses in Marston Court, and reaching from the crossroads to Loxley Farm. (more…)