Recreation Ground – 1930’s
The ground was loaned by the Rotheschilds for use by the villagers for sports etc. The Parish Council was responsible for the upkeep (fences, gates etc.). There were no games allowed after dusk or on Sundays. The local farmers would put ponies and some cattle to graze overnight in the Rec. When the Rotheschilds sold some of their farms and various meadows in around 1936, they offered to sell the recreation ground to the village for approximately £30.00, as the Parish Council did not want to buy it. The solicitors of the Rotheschilds in Tring were also Father Anthony’s solicitors and mentioned to him how surprised they were that the Parish Council was not taking up the offer. Father Anthony was furious, put a deposit down, called a public meeting and with full public support, money was raised to buy the ground for the village.
Article written by the LM & P Horticultural Society. (more…)
A railway line used to follow a route from Cheddington station to Aylesbury, crossing the Long Marston to Wingrave road at “Marston Gate” about one mile out of Long Marston. The line was built as a branch line of the London and Birmingham, later renamed LNWR in 1846. The line was officially opened on the 10th June 1839, but Marston Gate was not opened until 1860. (more…)
At the end of a small lane in the village of Long Marston is a small churchyard. It has a few gravestones, some somber yews and a gigantic lime tree. At the northwest aspect is the remains of a moat which once surrounded the Manor of Long Marston; long since lost. Adjacent is a 16th century thatched cottage. (more…)
Information Taken From The Account At The Queen’s Head, Long Marston Regarding The Last Witch Hunt. In 1751 a woman was murdered in an atrociously cruel fashion by an enraged mob at Long Marston near Tring. THOMAS COLLEY the ringleader was hanged for it afterwards, but there were many who thought it hard that a man should be executed for ridding the district of a malicious witch. (more…)
The term “field” was first used to distinguish areas cleared of trees from the tracts of forest found by the earliest settlers in Britain.The great fields often received names as North Field, Near Field or were related to some adjacent feature and called Mill Field or Brook Field. (more…)